CREATE is an 18 -week program designed to train and empower consultants and coaches in the theory, principles and practices behind healthy, regenerative agricultural systems. First online class starts on Thursday the 30th June. The in-field 6 days covers hands-on learning and classroom time 10-16th July. The weekly sessions includes a 3-hour webinar, practical and theoretical coursework and coaching support. At the end of the program there is a 3-day session back in the field to bring all of the learning together. At the completion of this training, attendees will have the business plans, skills, tools and templates required to start their own agroecological coaching businesses to provide services so desperately needed in the rural sector today. This program is offered in the US in 2022 only. Depending on travel restrictions NZ and Australian schools may be offered in 2023.
Who is behind CREATE?
Nicole Masters is the primary curriculum designer with support from Meagan Lannan, Didi Pershouse, Jules Matthews and Michael Cashmore. Together they bring powerful skills in communication, facilitation, coaching and behaviour change science, with decades of practical experience in regenerative, agroecological systems. As a team they bring established track records in capacity building and empowering farmers, ranchers, growers and land care organizations.
Nicole is a globally recognised agroecologist, speaker and author. She has over 22 years practical farming and food production experience, with 18 years of experience as a regenerative Ag coach and educator. Nicole is formally trained in soil science, organizational learning, pattern thinking, and adult education. She has worked closely with diverse production sectors from; dairy, sheep & beef, viticulture, compost, nurseries, market gardens, racing studs, lifestyle blocks to large-scale cropping. Working with such diverse clients has fostered a broad knowledge and understanding of the challenges facing different production systems. During many of her years as an educator, Nicole has been practically involved in food production.
Didi is the author of “The Ecology of Care Medicine, Agriculture, Money, and the Quiet Power of Human and Microbial Communities,” and “Understanding Soil Health and Watershed Function.” She teaches participatory workshops both in person and online, helping to show the nested relationships between soil health, human health, water cycles, and climate resiliency. She is the founder of the Land and Leadership Initiative and the Center for Sustainable Medicine, and a co-founder of the “Can we Rehydrate California?” Initiative. She is an independent trainer and curriculum developer for the UN-FAO Farmer Field School Program and the Andhra Pradesh Community Managed Natural Farming Initiative in India. She was one of five speakers at the United Nations-FAO World Soil Day in 2017.
What CREATE program offers
The CREATE program offers you the world’s most in-depth training in regenerative, agroecological systems thinking. Topics dig deep into microbiology, soil science, agronomy, plant physiology, management, mindset and behaviour change. Combining practice and cutting-edge science, you will acquire and cultivate the skills and observations to offer true holistic agricultural options to your clients. Contact us to request our CREATE Curriculum to learn more about the skills, knowledge and thinking you’ll master during the program. Through in-field practicums, detailed demonstrations and live webinars with Nicole Masters and Q&A sessions with your own coach, in as little as 18 weeks you could be launching a meaningful new career as an Agroecological Coach or Consultant —with confidence!
On completion of this program CREATE Coaches will:
- Have all the tools, documents, templates and materials required to step into a coaching role
- Have a tried-and-true consulting process that delivers results for clients
- Complete the program with the skills to effectively coach and train producers
- Achieve the ability to visit a property and perform a full examination, coach, analyze and deliver useful meaningful results
- Have the tools to be able to have hard and transformative conversations
- Gain more confidence and clarity in how to make a difference in the Ag sector
- Potential to be recognized as a leader in agroecological regenerative Ag systems
- The opportunity to become a more powerful communicator
- Have access to the latest cutting-edge science and research
- Apply to become a member of the Integrity Soils Fellowship – – an international community of agroecological Ag professionals
When and where is CREATE 2022 being run?
The online school begins on the 30th of June 2022. With a practicum at Cottonwood Ranch, Wells Nevada. The initial classroom time covers 6 days (8 nights) from the 10-17th July, 2022. Tuition covers food and lodging. Students are encouraged to carpool together to make their way to Cottonwood. Check out this amazing ranch here. The course completes with a 3 day (4 night) integration session in Bozeman, Montana Oct 31- Nov 2 2022. Graduation is on the 2nd of November. The rest of the 4-month program is online.
Where do I stay for the practicums?
We have accommodation for you on-site at the Cottonwood Ranch. Food is provided. Special meal requests can be considered. https://travelnevada.com/hotels/unique-stays/cottonwood-ranch/
Is this an online or in-person program?
Both (see above.) The four months are online with the beginning and final practicum in-person.
How many people can attend?
For the 2022 intake, we are limiting student numbers to no more than 16.
What is the deadline for applications?
The Deadline for this program closes on the 30th May 2022.
What are the commitments for this program?
The course is 18 weeks in total. After the initial 6 days in class, we estimate 18-24 hours a week of self-directed coursework, which includes reading, practical work and online sessions. There are also weekly coaching (1 hour), hub calls and 3-hour webinar sessions. At the end of the program, we come together for a final 3-day digestion session. You will have a special project to work on for the duration of the program, using a property you choose (or we can provide a case study) to create an in-depth written report and recommendations for action. You will need to choose 2 sites to take soil mineral, microbial, leaf tests and visual assessments. The Regen Platform powered by Soil Mentor is provided free to students to collect their first round of observations. This report is based on the foundational diagnostics, templates and framework provided. This course will require a major investment from you in time, commitment and self-development. Picture the depth and breadth of topics we need to cover for you to start your own coaching business, be prepared to put in the work and you will reap a bountiful harvest.
Who is this course for?
- People with a commitment and vision bigger than themselves
- People who are coachable and willing to ask the hard questions of themselves
- People passionate about soil health, ecosystem function and productive, profitable food or fibre businesses
- People who enjoy coaching and empowering others
- Communicators and educators
- Ecological thinkers
- People who recognize regeneration is a journey not a destination
- People who can bring a degree of humility and can leave their ego at the door
- People who are already working in consultancy OR producers who are wanting to take the power back from external advisors
- People who have a combination of the following skills and experiences: a regenerative mindset and/or practical farming/ranching/growing experience and/or science and technical background in horticulture/ agriculture/soil science or ecology.
Do I need formal qualifications?
Not necessarily. The ability to observe and critically think is the most valuable capability to bring. Each applicant will be considered based on their own merits. Recommended pre-reading includes Nicole’s book “For the Love of Soil” and “Science in Agriculture” by Arden Andersen.
Can anyone join the Integrity Soils Fellowship?
The Fellowship is an invitation only group offered to those who excel during the CREATE course. Students can choose to proactively partner with the Integrity Soils, be profiled on our website and be provided client leads after completing CREATE.
Who is this course not for?
Although each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. People that have no experience in food/fibre production will not be considered. This is not a program for the faint-of-heart, for those wanting business as usual, or those who rest on their laurels. If you would describe yourself in any of the following ways:
- If personal development does not interest you, or you do not value investing in yourself
- If you’re looking for a prescription
- If you just want to change from one input system to another or are looking for ‘the silver bullet answer’
- If you’re already an agronomist who sees Regenerative Ag is the next big trendy ticket
- If you’re looking for just another marketing tool
- Or if you enjoy this type of learning…
Then this is not the program for you!